Personally, I try to be thrifty, but it doesn’t always work. Like everyone I enjoy pretty things (clothes, jewelry…) and when I see something I like that looks nice on me then I’m very tempted to get it – depending on the price!
Tillie and Annabelle, characters in my novel FEISTY FAMILY VALUES , know the value of thrift shopping. Tillie takes it to an art and Annabelle is a fast learner. And in this economy we can save a lot by buying “gently” used items.
Wichita has several consignment and used clothing shops. Some of my Facebook buddies were discussing them the other day and here’s what I’ve found:
- Junk in the Trunk (pays you for your items if they are in good shape)
- Second Story (is popular, but I’ve never been)
- Christiane’s Closet (sorry, no info)
- Plato’s Closet (Eastgate – that’s all I know)
- Fashion Bar (no idea)
- Another Ladie’s Treasure (13/Tyler – nice stuff)
- Uptown Cheapskate (21/Tyler – nothing much for big ladies)
- Frugal Finds (not sure if this is the right name, on West St. has big ladies fashions and furniture)
- YWCA Thrift store (W. Douglas – all manner of stuff)
- Working Women’s Store (21/Amidon – haven’t been there in a long time but I used to get great work clothes there)
There used to be one in Clifton Square but I don’t know if it is still there or the name. Junior League used to have a store but it moved, and again I’m not sure where. And there are always garage sales, but I seldom find nice clothing. Purses are a good item to look for at garage sales and sometimes jewelry, too.